Article Description: In this article we will walk through how to measure and track the results of your actions, and how to view and export your campaign’s data via the Admin Dashboard.
This article will review:
- Trackable Links
- Tags and Custom Fields
- Sync Instructions
Accessing the Data Tab
- Log into your account at app.impactive.io
- From the My Campaigns page find your campaign under "Search for a campaign," then click on your campaign name.
- From the DATA Tab you’ll find your Exports, Trackable Links, Tags, Custom Fields, and Integrations. We’ll dive into each of these below.
Under the header Exports, you will be able to easily export your campaign’s data. Select the export type you would like to view. Simply select your desired export type under the header Create a New Export. If you are unsure of what’s included in each report, click on the Preview button to open an example table of which columns are included in the report. Once you have selected your export template, Impactive will open up a modal that will allow you to optimize the report settings.
All reports have a set of required attributes: Report Name and Export Frequency. Name your report under Report Name and toggle either a one-time report or recurring report under Export Frequency.
- *Pro-tip*: keep your report names easily identifiable. Using nested naming structures like name of admin, report type, and/or dates. (i.e. “Abe - Actions (F2F) - 4/1/21”) helps you locate your reports under the report's summary much more easily.
To learn more about exports with Impactive visit out support article, Data Reporting.
With Impactive’s trackable links, you can help your campaign make smarter decisions around its communications by tracking click-throughs and user referrals to your Impactive content. The Links section of the DATA tab, is the central location for campaigns to view, create, and manage their links and click-throughs. Here an admin can see the total link-clicks for each trackable link.
To learn more about creating and managing Trackable Links, check out the support article, Trackable links.
Tags are the way Impactive allows you to track the results of your program using a simple, yes, no opt-in. Common examples of tags include Wrong Number, Spanish Speaker, and Volunteer Prospect. If you are familiar with VAN’s infrastructure, it may be helpful to think of tags as Impactive’s version of activist codes.
We recommend organizations create custom tags such that when their volunteers are completing actions either in the app or on the web platform, they can send data back to your campaign to further inform your strategy. Tags show up after a volunteer clicks on “Fill Report”, which they can do during friend-to-friend or peer-to-peer actions.
- To create a tag, navigate to the DATA tab on your Impactive admin dashboard, then select the Tags page.
- Select + Create Tag from there, add a name for the tag, choose the display order, and customize the report settings to your liking. It’s best practice to choose a folder to have the tag associated with. So whether that's no folder, because this is a case that you will always have it, or whether you're sorting it based on the program or organizer.
- When finished select Create.
To learn more about creating and managing tags, auto-tagging voter responses, and creating tags and custom fields for actions check out our support article, Tags: Creating and Managing.
Custom fields are another way that you can track data coming from your program. Custom fields can exist in one of two ways.
- A custom field can exist as a question with multiple options as selections. If you're familiar with VAN, this would be most similar to survey questions.
- A custom field can also exist as a blank text field, such as a notes field.
We recommend organizations create custom fields such that when their volunteers are completing actions either in the app or on the web platform, they can send data back to your campaign to further inform your strategy. Custom fields show up after a volunteer clicks on “Fill Report”, which they can do during friend-to-friend or peer-to-peer actions.
- To create a custom field, navigate to the DATA tab on your Impactive admin dashboard, then select the Custom Fields page.
- Select + Create Custom Field from there, add a name, and customize the report settings as you see fit, and when possible always choose a folder to put it in so that you're able to have the best form of data management.
- When finished select Create.
To learn more about creating and managing custom fields check out our support article, Custom Fields: Creating and Managing.
If you are working with NGP VAN, another voter file application or database you will want to set-up an integration so that you never have to transfer data from Impactive into your database. One system will not replace the other––the key here is for the two systems to communicate with each other seamlessly, so work conducted in Impactive is automatically recorded in both places.
To set-up your integration, click into the DATA tab, and select Integrations, then click + Add API Key. From here, you'll be prompted to add your database’s API key (so have this handy), then click Create.
Sync instructions are basically settings that tell Impactive what data to synchronize over to the database. You can find sync instructions under DATA > Integrations directly below the API key summary table.
We recommend creating sync instructions for every type of integration you’ll want to maintain between us and the database. These syncs include, but are not limited to:
- Contact History: text messages, phone calls, and canvass contacts show up as canvass responses in VAN.
- Activist Codes: tags or custom fields added to contacts in Impactive sync back as activist codes to VAN.
- Do Not Call: “opt-out” tags in Impactive sync back as “Do not call” result codes in VAN.
- Survey Questions: multiple choice custom fields like “Support Rating” sync back to VAN as survey questions and responses.
- Static Lists: instead of importing a list from VAN using a CSV, sync a static list of voters from VAN into an Impactive contact list.
To learn more about setting up your sync instructions check out our support article: Setting Up Integrations.
With Impactive’s folders, you can help keep your campaign organized by assigning contact and user lists, actions, broadcasts, tags, and custom fields to multiple folders.
Admins can view, create, and manage all of the campaign’s folders from the Folders page, located under the DATA tab.
To create a folder, select ‘+ New Folder’.
To learn more about creating and managing Folders check out our support article, Folders: Overview.